|Overview as at 11 October 2014|
Bought a Soma "GRAND RANDONNEUR frameset"
For some time now I have lusted after a 650B bicycle. Thought about several conversions from a 700c but never got round to it. Conversions always seemed so much of a compromise. After I sold two Volvos I rewarded myself by getting a Soma frame set from Commuter cycles in Brunswick.I also acquired;
- 650B wheels
- Hub generator
- SKF gut axel
I assembled the Frame with the bits I had in shed;
- Suntour headset
- Sugino Chainwheel 24, 34, 44
- Suntour Cyclone II front changer
- Suntour Superb Rear Longarm changer
- 7 speed Suntour rear hub
- Suntour change leavers - indexed / friction set to friction
- generic aluminium seat tube
- generic head stock adapter and forward style headset?
- touring figure 8 type handle bars
- rear rack
- blackburn front bag mounts
- shimarno v brakes and brake levers with coolstop pads.
- Oh and 650B x 42 mm - “Hetre” (red) Grand Bois tyres
|A great rear changer|
|Sugino crankset and NOS chainwheels|
I still have to get a feel for how fast te bicycle is but... it is well glued to the road and responsive. I'm happy with the gears .. yes I could have gone for a more modern setup but my heart still lines in the 70's so this was a good compromise. Brakes.. more work needed.. dito the bars and bags.. but it can wait till I have the money. Now to get some miles under the belt and build fitness.
|Bars and brakes needs redoing.|